Our discussions from this session caused changes in the master control outline:
Suit design Issues/solutions:
Color that Hides dirt but is cool
- Color accents to make it cool? (Whatever heather wants to do.)
Sensors and implements need to be interchangeable
(for repairs or change the kinds of devices for different compositions):
- Create pockets that various sensors could be slipped into.
- See the brain dump below for kinds of sensors bobby and I came up with.
- Would there be pockets for the sensors on the suit or mobile pockets that I could slip the sensors into then snap on?
Larger implements will need stronger adhering:
- Stitch Velcro over all the spots where there are implements (including the side of the legs).
Wire runs will go to one point then go to the amp:
- Have a sheath that goes around the perimeter of the suit so I can run wires to the point where they gather in back.
- See the attached suit diagrams Bobby sketched. They show ideas on the wiring and wireless design ideas.
- Discuss placement of wireless unit with Bobby (in mid back so the weight is balanced and can't feel it)
- Maybe create a fabric "box' or protected space where the unit and wireless will go and be out of the way.
Gloves are knit fabric that is loose fitting:
- Any solution for an inexpensive glove that we could put some snaps on?
- We discussed using an existing leather pair or making some
- How about a glove that snaps onto the cuff? Made of the suit material?
- Also, how about making right and left mits that effects/surfaces could be snapped into?
- I have some old school dress shoes that I would like to transform like I he the gloves that I wear.
SPLITTING THE OUTLINE BETWEEN UPPER (FABRIC) AND LOWER (ELECTRONICS) WAS A BIG HELP AT THIS POINT.
Effects Design Issues and solutions: (brain dump from my session with Bobby):
Approach to electronics:
2 categories of objects:
- I will Meet with Bobby to look at a final number.
Things to get (electronics):
2 Arduino (60) 1 on suit (no firmata-just xbee) 1 receiving arduino (firmata so it can receive info and send it to pd friendly numbers)
2 xbee wireless interface for arduino (60) (possible a Bluetooth version)
wireless system for audio into i/o device
9-volt battery to power the suit based arduino arduino (radio shack 9-volt battery thing)
photo resistor (
flex sensor (15)
foot controller for switches (project boxes or jewelry boxes) strip of buttons strapped onto a shoe
Things to get (suit)
- fabric from yardage town (30)
Effect 1: (pitch proximity makes intuitive sense)
Light emitter on photocell Theremin):
light emanating from guitar (switch mounted on guitar lends itself to musical off and on motion)
(photocell sewn into knee- light emitting (independent circuit with a flashlight like switch)
where do I want them?
Do I want a series of them?
contact mics in series around the suit
to pick up fabric sound
- quadraphonic sound for the contact mics (a wireless
Contact mic Piece idea:
one on each limb (then the room becomes an extension of your body) as the signal would go through a surround spatialized audio system around the room).
list of sensors or resistors (sparkfun):
- flex sensor (on sleeve or knee or hand) (15)
- it can be assigned to pitch)
1 arduino, 2 usb cables to computer as a first test.
arduino memory configuration (firmware can be changed)
using arduino with pure data (fermata)
can xbee transfer firmata data wirelessly?
a way to turn effects on and off
a way to change parameters (resistor type things)
How important is the on off mechanism
Is it a part of the flow of things
do I need any controls on the suit at all?
should I have one on off capability?
Do you just use thresholds for on and off instead?